Hey folks! This month is exploding with mermaid art for the hashtag #mermay. It’s a lot of fun seeing the art world play with a fun idea together as a community! Here is my first contribution! Thanks everybody and have a wonderful day!
Hope your week is off to a great start! Here is one of my newest pieces! I took a different approach in painting this one black and white first and then going layer by layer, transparency filter by transparency filter, to create the colors.
A value and color comp chart is extremely handy because it gives you an opportunity to check out which colors and lighting effects achieve the mood you are aiming for. Here is the value and color comp chart that I created before going onto the final illustration.
Life has been really blessed and very productive! Currently, I’m working on a class with SCAD that gives a lot of leg room to the students to choose their project directions to help build up our portfolios. With this in mind, I’m working on creating a lot more in the way of pre-production artwork including character designs, value and color/lighting key studies, prop designs etc. for the story by Hans Christian Andersen “The Brave (Steadfast) Tin Soldier.”
This story has been in the back of my mind for a long time. It has a very sad ending, but if it were to be envisioned for a full-length movie, I’d like to imagine and create a happier solution to the end where the tin soldier actually does get the girl. For the class, I plan to design the Black Goblin (the jack in the box) and the Tin Soldier.
As an extra curricular project, I designed over the weekend this character named “Poecan” who is the canary poet. In the story, the narrator mentions that at night, while the other toys come alive, the canary also wakes up and starts speaking in poetry. His character is limited to this small reference in the whole plot, but I thought he might turn out to be a fun character to make more significant to the story.
Thanks for reading and I hope to post more visual development work soon!
Hope you are doing well! I’ve posted this work before but had to bring it up again! Have you tried alcohol inks on yupo paper before? It is incredibly fun and – if it behaves – it can create amazing landscapes for imaginative worlds!
This one I had a lot of fun with. Alcohol inks are very temperamental and dry quickly, so act fast and go with the flow. One of the biggest things that can be both an advantage and a problem is that the inks can “bloom” (pushing the colors away). However, if you have a straw handy, you can blow on it to create cool patterns, like the shrubbery at the bottom of the image. I actually used a paper towel to help smudge the inks along in order to create the log. Also, if you have a spray bottle handy, you can spritz a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol into the air and then bring your piece nearby the spray – just barely so you get a few of the starlike effects, similar to salt for watercolors. For the characters, I used pen and markers to fill in the color.
If you have any great tips for alcohol inks, let me know!
All the best to you and God bless!
Artwork Private Eyes are Watching You by Brittany Edsall