Hurray! Here is my latest character design. Meet Lady V.
Praise the Lord, this character was a lot of fun to design! She’s a charming scoundrel. She’s part of a story that I am creating. See if you can pick out the different periods in art that I was inspired by for her! There are actually quite a few…
Technically speaking, the process for the final character design is basically as follows and was created digitally in Photoshop:
- Draw line work.
- Paint flat local colors on new layer underneath line work layer.
- Go back to your line layer, select and isolate the line work and paint it so that it compliments the local colors, such as using a lighter brown around the skin, or a darker brown around the eye makeup.
- Above both the line and color layers, create shading with a Multiply layer – Keep it simple. Once painted, reduce the opacity of the shading layer as needed.
- Above that layer, create highlights using an Overlay layer. Again, reduce opacity as needed.
- Use one of your textures that is painterly and really vibrant in color, clip it to your character’s shape and play around with transparency filters such as Overlay. Test out the different colors in hue/saturation, and play with opacity until it gives an effect you like.
Keep experimenting with your piece until satisfied with the final design, and tah dah! Have fun digital painting!
P.S. Some of the concept artwork for her costume design variations were created in Procreate using a soft and textured technical pen.
Thank you all so much! Have a fantastic week!